Practice, practice, practice!

When going through the syllabus, I was most worried about this journal club presentation. Since MIT, I haven't really given any presentations, let alone presenting on a scientific paper in front of my peers and the instructors who know a lot more about the field than I do.

When going through the paper that I chose, I found it very complex. I struggled the most with keeping track of how much time the presentation would take. It took me 20 minutes the first time I tried presenting it. This freaked me out because I was only presenting half of the figures on the paper. I wasn't going to shorten the content anymore, but I needed to make my explanation more concise. I practiced more and recorded myself so that I can see what could be improved.  Although this was very painful (I hate listening to myself), this turned out to be really helpful! I realized that I was just saying the same thing over and over again, and continuously paused during my presentations. After practicing on Monday night, I was finally able to cut my time down to 11 minutes. 

I then reached out to some of my friends in the class to practice and get feedback. Turned out it took me 9 minutes the first time I did so. I was freaking out even more because I was always struggling with going over time. So I kept practicing and practicing. 

It was finally my turn, and I did it. Thanks to all the practice, I was able to deliver everything I had prepared for.  I was honestly so nervous about this assignment since day 1, and am so relieved that it is over. 

Being able to read, understand and talk about a journal is an essential skill in the industry that I need to know. I would be lying if I said I would not be nervous if I had to do it again, but the assignment certainly boosted my confidence and allowed me to learn the process behind giving a journal club presentation. Even though this is not my strength, I know that I could do it. And of course, with practice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second time is not the charm, and I'm bad at math

That was long!

Done with the research article!!! Onwards!!!