And its off to the reviewers…



Going into the research article I was scared.  The data summary took so much time and that assignment was in bullet points and with your partner.  This time I was all on my own and had to write a complete manuscript. It was slightly overwhelming.  But it was helpful knowing that my methods were mostly complete. Finishing them for a homework assignment, gave me some comfort.  The first steps were to analyze the data. This data was definitely more straight forward than the data summary and included less daunting spreadsheets. I also think my excel skills are rapidly improving as I made many graphs and calculations.  I tried to follow the suggestions the communication lab gave about the order to write a research paper.  I spent my first few days just crunching numbers and making graphs and then recalculating numbers and making more graphs.  I also had to do some significance calculations and again edit and make more graphs.  After I finally had some figures, I could step back and look at what I was trying to show. I was fortunate that my data looked really good, in that I did not need to make a very convincing argument because the numbers could do that for me.  Little by little I worked on each section until Sunday morning I was finally able to write the abstract and put all the parts together. Did this report take over my life from Thursday to Sunday? Yes.  One thing that I really found surprising was how repetitive a report really is.  I think when I read a paper I like when they reiterate because it makes it easier to understand, but when I was writing the paper it felt like I was saying the same thing, over and over and over again but using slightly different terms.  I think this is what we were supposed to do, it just felt very unusual.  I can’t believe the report was actually completed and surprisingly it was not as overwhelming as I first anticipated. Now its sent off to the reviewers and now I need to focus on the project proposal… if I make it through 7.06 and 20.320 this week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second time is not the charm, and I'm bad at math

Hey! That actually wasn't half bad